Wolfgang Buxbaum was born 1948 in Vienna. Ge began studying piano in 1954 and changed to the cello in 1958. While attending the Realgymnasium für Studierende der Musik he studied cello at the Hochschule für Musik under Prof. Krotschak, the solo cellist of Wr. Philmarmoniker.
His first engagement was in the Thater an der Wien. 1972he won the audition at Tonkünstlerorchester Niederösterreich. 1975 he foundet the Rasumovsky Quartett and 1994 Camerata Vienna.
From 1975 until 1980 he was member of Tonkünstler-Kammerorchster which concerted not only in Austria, but also in Germany and the benelux countries.
He started teaching at the music school in Wr. Neustadt and is now lecturer at R. Wagner conservatory since 2013.